The Chief of Staff plays a critical role at Justice Reskill, working shoulder-to-shoulder with our CEO and Founder, Aaron, to support internal operations and support the fast-paced growth of our organization. This position requires relational intuition and diplomacy, strategic discernment, organizational management, entrepreneurial ambition, and enthusiasm, and the ability to lead special projects. The Chief of Staff is in tune with the needs of the organization at all levels and is able to discern and attend to the organization’s top priorities. Reporting to the CEO, the Chief of Staff ensures that Aaron is well-informed and aware of important or urgent topics both internal and external to the organization.
Specifically, the Chief of Staff’s responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
Support to the CEO and Founder
- Provide support to Aaron on where and how he touches the organization most strategically; ensure he is engaged with important internal decisions while cultivating and balancing external opportunities.
- Attend key stakeholder meetings with Aaron, including but not limited to: internal executive and board meetings; funder meetings, strategic partnership discussions.
- Take notes, manage all follow-up communications and tasks that can be taken off Aaron’s plate.
- Ensure that Aaron is maximizing his time and attention to the most urgent or impactful organizational areas, including giving attention to his meeting schedule.
- Support preparation of materials for internal and external meetings, including preparing presentations, drafting memos, talking points, and speeches where relevant. Serve as a visible, active liaison and represent him in his absence.
Strategic Planning and Organizational Management
- Support Aaron to set and communicate annual organizational strategic priorities and budget; eventually help develop and manage a process with Aaron and the Core Team to set these together.
- Lead the process for Aaron and the Core Team to translate strategy into operational plans; support them to set and communicate Quarterly milestones and SMART goals.
- Maintain a birds-eye view of the entire organization -- operations and programs. Work with staff across all initiatives to ensure consistency and integration. Ensure that every program and project have clear leads, clear work plans, and regular rhythms of meeting for the sake of accountability.
- Partner with Aaron, staff, and consultants to drive operational excellence across the organization, creating systems and processes to ensure efficiency, effectiveness, transparency, and a positive culture as Justice Reskill grows in complexity. This includes identifying, socializing, and managing core organizational systems; Slack, HubSpot, Google Drive folders, project management tools, etc.
Team Management and Culture
- Manage and oversee internal team meetings with support from Aaron and the Core Team. This includes Annual Meetings, Quarterly Meetings, Weekly All-Hands, and Core Team Meetings. Ensure and communicate clear agendas, and distribute and follow up on tasks.
- Support Aaron -- and eventually the Managing Director -- to grow positive team dynamics and culture, with equity at the center. Specifically, lead development of a clear onboarding process and team handbook and work with Aaron and the Core Team to integrate fun, culture-building activities into our work.
- Support Aaron -- and eventually the Managing Director -- by up-leveling team dynamics that might need attention or care.
- Manage relationships with Justice Reskill’s Advisory Board and Special Advisors. This requires engaging the Board & Special Advisors through consistent communications, developing thorough and timely board reports, and participating in board meetings and retreats.
- Manage the ideation, launch, and successful handoff of special projects like our Fair Chance Hiring Platform and State Registered Apprentice programs and facilitate handing off leadership of these programs to others as appropriate.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 3+ years of professional experience;
- Highly organized, ability to prioritize multiple tasks effectively; interest and ability to design and implement new systems and processes where needed;
- Passion for changing the playing field for justice-involved people in Colorado;
- Exceptional strategic thinking skills, with a high level of intellectual curiosity;
- Demonstrated experience building and maintaining relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders across different geographies and subject areas;
- Familiarity and/or willingness and ability to learn our core tools: Slack, Google Drive + Docs, Trello, HubSpot, etc.
- Ability and willingness to take initiative and learn new tasks and skills when required;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an engaging presence, along with diplomacy, tact, and good humor;
- Entrepreneurial style, with an enthusiasm for “building while flying” and working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
Salary + Benefits
The annual salary for this position is $95,000. Justice Reskill offers health, dental and vision benefits, a 401k plan and a culture that is collaborative, hardworking, and fun.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Justice Reskill values a diverse, inclusive workplace and strongly encourages justice-involved, women, people of color, LGBT folks, people with differently-abled people, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Justice Reskill is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
How to Apply
If you’d like to part of this amazing journey, we welcome you to apply now. If you have any questions or need any special accommodations, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be accepting applications for this role until the end of April with an intent to make a hiring decision in May. The interview process will entail a combination of email, phone, and video correspondence as well as a paid project to assess your work product for final candidates.