Nelnet is a student loan servicer that's grown into a fiber internet pioneer, real estate investor, and software provider. But that's just the beginning. With 6,500 associates and growing, we take our business wherever superior customer experiences and ingenuity are needed.
The perks of working at Nelnet go beyond our benefits package. When you join the Nelnet team, you're part of a community invested in the success of each individual. That support comes through in our work, as we are united by our mission of creating opportunities for people where they live, learn, and work.
As an IT Site Reliability Engineer at Nelnet, you will help ensure Velocity, the next generation platform in the lending industry, is running with a rich feature set, high availability, and stellar performance level. You will collaborate with development teams as they build, implement and support client web sites and back-end systems using microservices architecture and other leading-edge technologies and practices. You will be focusing on automating development, testing and deployment processes while taking a holistic view of system health.
1. Partner with development teams to ensure the systems they build and support are reliable and meet SLO’s
2. Gather and analyze metrics from both operating systems and applications to assist in performance tuning and fault finding
3. Help set up monitors, alerting and dashboards (Datadog is our monitoring tool)
4. Automate processes to improve system support and the developer experience
5. Work with teams on implementation and verification planning and execution
6. Help create runbooks and documentation for system support and issue resolution
7. Partner with development teams to improve services through rigorous testing and release procedures
8. Participate in system design consulting, platform management, and capacity planning
9. Improve reliability, quality, and time-to-market of our suite of software solutions
10. Measure and optimize system performance, with an eye toward pushing our capabilities forward, getting ahead of customer needs, and innovating to continually improve
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science and/or commensurate experience.
An ideal team member will be a full stack engineer that has solid experience with many of these technologies, however select specialization in just a few will also be considered with great interest.
1. 1-3+ years of experience with cloud architecture, networking, deployment processes, and infrastructure as code tools
2. 1-3+ years of software engineering experience
4. Relational Databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.)
5. Experience solving complex problems, creating algorithms, and working through challenging requirements
6. Experience with source control (Git, branching, merging, etc.)
7. Containerization software and methodologies.
8. Scripting experience enabling process automation.
9. Experience creating and deploying software in a low latency, high uptime environment
10. Experience with API driven software development and automated testing
11. Experience with Azure, AWS, Kubernetes, Linux and shell scripting a plus
COMPETENCIES – SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES:
1. Motivated and hardworking. This one means a lot to our team, and should mean a lot to you, too.
2. Excited about working in a fast-paced, startup environment. Sometimes we all have to wear a few different hats.
3. Detail oriented. We like to go fast, but we still think it through.
4. Handle stress well.
5. Care a lot about creating an exceptional user experience. Even if you don’t work on client-side code.
6. Driven to create something big. You have lofty ambitions and want to be part of a team that changes an industry.
Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, HSA and FSA, generous earned time off, 401K/student loan repayment, life insurance & AD&D insurance, employee assistance program, employee stock purchase program, tuition reimbursement, performance-based incentive pay, short- and long-term disability, and a robust wellness program. Click here to learn more about our benefits: LINK.
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance.
Qualified individuals with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations in order to apply or compete for positions at Nelnet may request such accommodations by contacting Corporate Recruiting at 402-486-5725 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nelnet is a Drug Free and Tobacco Free Workplace.